Congested highways are enough to boil over even the calmest of drivers. Especially for those returning home from cottage country back to the city areas, and have their drive grinded to a near halt due to pent up traffic.
Traffic can be extremely frustrating, and can make a lot of drivers lose their tempers. In some of the most serious cases, people fall into a state commonly called “road rage,” in which they become so incensed that they may begin to drive very dangerously, putting themselves and others in extreme danger.
- Take a deep breath. Breathe deeply, into your abdomen, and exhale slowly.
- Turn your music down. Loud or fast-paced music can actually make us more frantic.
- Recite a favorite mantra or saying to yourself, slowly and quietly.
- Remind yourself that you’re not in a hurry.
- Give other drivers the benefit of the doubt; maybe they have an emergency.
While not every one of these strategies for staying calm may work for you, you can try out different ones and see which is most effective when you find yourself in stressful situations that will go a long way in avoiding any accidents. The lawyers at Harris Law can help you if you have suffered injuries as a result of an automobile accident.