Our boutique law firm in downtown Kitchener, practicing exclusively in personal injury, is looking for a full-time Legal Assistant to join our growing team. If you have experience in plaintiff personal injury law, insurance defence or have two years experience in civil litigation and are interested in specializing in personal injury, we have just the position for you!
- Drafting correspondence and legal documents as directed by supervising lawyer.
- Communicate regularly with clients and other representatives in a professional manner by phone, in writing or in person.
- Act as liaison between clients and supervising lawyer.
- Responsible for clerical, administrative and general office duties.
- Organize and expedite flow of work.
- Responsible for follow up with lawyer concerning work activities.
- Maintaining multiple calendars and scheduling.
- Assisting with pleadings and court/tribunal filings, as required, at the direction of a lawyer or clerk.
- Any similar tasks that may be assigned to you.
- Reading Comprehension: understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening: giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking: talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing: communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking: using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management: managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Active Learning: understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Judgment and Decision Making: considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate action.
- Monitoring: monitoring/assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Adaptation: thinking quickly to respond to sudden changes in circumstances. Persisting in the face of unexpected difficulties.
- Service Orientation: actively looking for ways to help clients, coworkers, managers and lawyers.
- Law Clerk Program (College Level); and/or
- University Degree
Applicant should be organized and detail-oriented as well as proactive regarding upcoming deadlines and schedules. Preference will be given to those applicants who have completed a Law Clerk course and have relevant work experience. Two years or more of experience is preferred; exceptional applicants with one year of experience will be considered.
Remuneration commensurate with experience.
Please submit resume and references by email to Janine Schellenberger at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 15, 2020.
We thank all interested applicants for this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.