Our brains change as we age. It’s a fact of life. Luckily, we can take steps every day to prevent rapid cognitive decline and keep our brains as healthy as possible.
Here are some easy things you can do that will help you keep your mind sharp no matter what stage of life you’re in.
- Keep up with current events. Whether your interest is politics, world news, or your local small-town gossip, staying current with the news stimulates your mind.
- Read anything! Books, magazines, the back of cereal boxes. Reading keeps your mind pumping, and you learn new things at the same time.
- Watch thought-provoking movies.
- Do word puzzles that challenge your mind.
- Start a new hobby or take up an old, forgotten one to get your creative juices flowing.
- Stay physically active.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Don’t smoke.
- Eat a balanced diet low in saturated and trans fats.
Many of these strategies can also be beneficial to speeding up recovery for people who have suffered brain injuries (under the advice of a medical professional of course). If you’ve suffered a brain injury, contact us to discuss how we can help you.